How do we support children with identified special needs starting at school?
- We invite you and your child to visit the school and look around and speak to key staff (Assistant Head – Inclusion/Deputy Head/SENCO)
- Meetings such as Team Around the Child (TAC) or multi-agency meetings could be held to discuss your child’s needs, share strategies used, and ensure provision is put in place before your child starts.
- Your child’s key person/SENCO may make a home visit and also visit your child if they are attending another provision.
- We may suggest adaptations to the setting to help your child settle more easily.
- Your child will be involved in every step of the support, and their opinions and feelings will be at the centre of all decisions made to support their learning and development. These feelings could be made verbally or non-verbally, for example, through gesture, sign or written.